Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Jenny Makofsky the shining star

She knew all the words to the theme song of "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air".
She argued based on reviews of books she hadn't read.
She played smackdown wrestling with Max. He always won.
She worried about him losing affection for his auntie.
She spent a lot of money on clothing and a lot of time on finding clothing bargains.
Movies. Once, we saw a crummy movie about to start on television (it was "Miss Congeniality"), and we gasped together in excitement.
No coffee, not since the crying at the museum line incident.
She loved sweets and snacks.
She read the ends of books first, so the suspense would not override her enjoyment of the story.
She read reviews of movies before seeing the movies, and liked spoilers.
She carried bags jammed with stuff and papers. When she filled a bag, she set it in her room and started another one.
When she was little, she'd play side 2 (I think) of the "Robin Hood" record over and over again.
Later it was David Bowie, The Doors and The Beatles.
Later it was Hole and Nirvana.
In elementary school, she scored higher on the ESP test than I did. She could read minds!
She wanted to hear your version of that jump rope rhyme or counting-out game, jotting down each word and comparing it with those of other people.
She wanted the details of that story, please.
She had humorous dreams integrating pop culture figures.
She once told Meg and I the entire plot of a "Mr. Belvedere" episode as we awaited the beginning of the Shakespeare in the park production.
She loved her eating club. They always over-ordered on the plantains.
She was a most loyal, sentimental friend, who stuck up for someone when others would not.
She collected stationery, black boots, alebrijes and rubber chickens.
She was my best friend, my social outlet and my shared memory. It saved me a lot of effort.
She was a love, and many people called her soulmate.
Jenny Makofsky, my beautiful sister, to the stars through difficulties. She took it all too far, but boy could she play guitar.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

For some reason the Jenny memory that always comes back to me took place on the train to Norwich in college. I forget what we were talking about, but she cynically said, "You can run but you cannot hide." To which I replied, "THIS is widely known." The story is totally lost in the telling, but at the time she shrieked and laughed with such gusto that I have never forgotten it. To this day I cannot hear that song without thinking of Jen.

Meranda said...

Oh man...this made me cry. I miss Jenny for you, Serena. Love, love, love.

Serena said...

Clara--you were always the perfect smart ass match for Jenny! I liked it when you and Alison, on that same trip, I think, taunted her for being in the minority in terms of certain physical attributes.

Meranda--Thanks for your kind words. I try to remember the sad and the funny when I think of Jenny. xoxo Serena

Unknown said...

Making Jenny laugh was one of life's greatest pleasures. In many ways, you were like two halves of one larger body. I don't know how you do it, but I admire the journey you're taking to rebuild and recalibrate. You remain in my heart as ever.

Unknown said...

P.S.-I don't remember the taunting with Alison but hope we didn't hurt her feelings?

Serena said...

Clara, I almost wrote to you that you and Jenny seemed like two sides of the same coin. Thank you for your comments. And need I remind you of a certain little song: "We've Got Three"?

Unknown said...

I have SO got three! And never have I been prouder!

Anonymous said...

I remember the I've Got Three thing! What a crackup. People around here just don't get it. And how about the Moira "let ... me ... ouuuuttt" story??

Serena said...

That Moira knew how to throw a hell of a party.

Arex said...

Last time I saw Jenny was about 15 years ago when I was in 5th grade, but I still think about her. She made that much of an impression.

Serena said...

Thanks, Sander. You made quite an impression on Jenny as well. Whenever I fretted over whether I could raise Max to be a thoughtful, compassionate boy in a challenging world, she said she knew of such a boy, this Sander...